I've recently purchased a Victorian brick home which is full of projects! I have several large windows and some windows along angled walls. Curtain rods were difficult to find or ridiculously expensive for custom ordering, so I decided to make my own.
I started with 1/2" electrical conduit (available in 10-ft lengths for less than $3 at my local hardware store. Windows on flat walls were easy- just measure the desired distance and use a tubing cutter to cut to length. For the curved walls, I measured the angle of the wall and distance and custom formed the conduit on a tubing bender.
For the finials (end caps of curtain rods), I was looking for something fleur-de-lis, which is the symbol of the city of Louisville and particularly popular in my Victorian neighborhood. Searching Thingiverse, I found a great file (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32775) someone had scanned from an iron gate cap. I was able to scale the part in makerware and used the Makerbot Replicator II to print in ABS.
I wanted the steel rods and plastic end caps to match and was looking for something rustic and metallic. I settled on the Rustoleum's flat chestnut metallic. I painted the parts individually and touched up after 24 hours. After another 24 hours, they were dry enough to hang. I bought used vintage curtain brackets on eBay and paid about $15 for 10 mismatched pieces. I divided the bracket styles they would match within each room. Wood screw were easy for most, but plaster wells required careful predrilling with a small bit. The depth of the brackets were adjustable, which came in particularly handy to get the angled rods to fit!
This website is built with advanced, modern technologies and does not support older versions of Internet Explorer. In order to use this website it is recommended you choose and install a modern web browser. All of the browsers listed below are free and only take a few minutes to install.